Production works at Toyota and John Deere plants near China’s port of Tianjin where huge explosions killed more than 100 people are halted for the time being. The Toyota’s production lines will be closed until the end of Wednesday, while John Deere had suspended their work until further notice.
Further, Renault said that after the blast burned 1,500 of its imported car, its car deliveries may fall in August and September. Volkswagen also added that 2,700 of its car were damaged from the incident.
Following the blast, evacuation advisories have been issued for the site’s surrounding area as it is expected that the site has housed hundreds of tonnes of highly toxic chemicals, confirmed to be sodium cyanide.
At least 114 were reported died in the explosions and more than 700 needed hospital treatment. Toyota stated that more than 50 of its employees were injured. However, the blast on Wednesday occurred during holidays for its employees, thus there has been no impact to date on production at its three lines near the affected area.
However, due to the ongoing evacuation advisories, none of the three lines at Tianjin FAW Toyota Motor Co Ltd will be operated from 17th to 19th August.
Meanwhile, John Deere had also suspended its operations near the Tianjin blast site after several of its workers were injured and several buildings were damaged. Halting work indefinitely is in the decision of the tractors and agricultural machinery maker. A spokesman from John Deere said that a small number of employees were injured and windows including doors at some of the plants had been blown out. The full scope on the damage is yet to be established as the evacuation has prevented employees from returning to examine the plant. The John Deere plant in Tianjin primarily manufactures agricultural and construction equipment as well as engines for the Asian market.